We want you to be able to take your favorite furry friend with you when you travel. That’s why we allow small domesticated pets to travel on all domestic flights including Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, U.S.V.I. in the customer cabin:
Spirit will only allow the following pets on the aircraft:
- Domestic dogs
- Domestic cats
- Small household birds (except to / from Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.)
IMPORTANT: Birds that are not considered household birds include farm poultry, waterfowl, game bird, birds of prey, and flightless birds.
To add a pet to your reservation contact our Reservations Center at 801.401.2222. It’s helpful to make these arrangements when making your travel plans with Spirit due to a maximum of four pet containers permitted on the aircraft during all domestic flights (including Puerto Rico and St. Thomas, U.S.V.I). View our current charges for pets.
Customers traveling with pets will need to check-in at the ticket counter. At this time, curbside or self-service check-in is not allowed. Please allow extra time beyond normal check-in guidelines.
Important guidelines when bringing your pet:
- Spirit Airlines does not require a health certificate for pets traveling with customers in the aircraft cabin.
- Spirit only allows small domestic dogs, domestic cats and small household birds on the aircraft.
- Birds are not allowed to and from cities in Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.
- Exotic pets such as snakes, spiders, rodents, etc. will not be accepted.
- A maximum of 2 pets per container is permitted, but only one container per customer is allowed.
- Animals must be able to stand upright and move about comfortably in the container.
- The pet should be at least eight (8) weeks old and fully weaned.
- The animal must be harmless, inoffensive, odorless, and require no attention during the flight.
- In the event the animal becomes offensive or causes a disturbance during transit; it will be removed.
- The pet cannot be ill, violent, or in physical distress.
- Advance notice is recommended but not required.
- You may choose to sit anywhere you wish with the exception of the first row and emergency exit rows.
- The combined weight of the pet and carrier may not exceed 40 pounds (18.14 kg).Pets in Cargo Compartment
Spirit Airlines does not transport pets in Cargo at any time.
Spirit Airlines does not accept animals on international flights, except in the case of service animals.
Depending on the international destination, specific documentation regarding the service animal may be required. Please contact Spirit Customer Service at 801.401.2222 and one of our agents will be happy to check destination regulations for you.
You will need to present the animal to the security checkpoint screeners for screening.
Pet Carrier Guidelines
The animal must be in a container subject to inspection and approval by Spirit. The dimensions of the container must not exceed 18″ x 14″ x 9″ (45.72 cm x 35.56 cm x 22.86 cm) and must be able to fit under the seat. Soft-sided containers are permitted in the cabin, but not the type which permit the pet’s head to remain outside the container. The customer is responsible for assuring that the container meets all government requirements for safe and humane transport.
One pet container per fare-paying customer is permitted with up to 2 similar animals in the same container, as long as each pet is free to stand in an upright position and freely move about the container. Animals must remain in the container at all times while on board the aircraft.